SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS
- There are over 25 STIs
- Many STIs do not have any symptoms, but can cause serious, life-long problems or lead to a sexually transmitted disease
- Viral STIs can not be cured
- Bacterial STIs can be cured by antibiotics but cannot reverse damage already occurred
- Having some active STIs makes it easier to get HIV
- STIs are the most common infectious disease in the U.S.
- 67% of STIs occur among ages 15-24
- STIs in young people cost more than $6.5 Billion every year
- Most teens don’t worry about STIs because they don’t think they are at risk
- Condoms may reduce but they do not eliminate the risks of STIs
- In the 1970s one in every 300 people had an STI and there were about 700,000 cases nationwide
- In 2005, 1 in 4 people has an STI and there are 69 million cases nationwide.
- More than 15 million new people will catch an STI each year
Click here to read about the different types of STIs, including risk factors, symptoms and treatment.